Food Service Establishment License Print This Page
License to operate an establishment that prepares or serves food for individual portion service intended for consumption on the premises, or where prepared food are subject to Iowa sales tax as provided in Iowa Code Section 423.3. Examples of operations required to obtain a food service establishment license are restaurants, bars, tap rooms, concession stands, catering operations, and commissaries. Does NOT include farmer's market food establishments, food processing plants, home bakeries, mobile food establishments (e.g. food trucks), retail food establishments (e.g. grocery stores), temporary food establishments, vending machines, unattended food establishments. Search all licenses from the Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals if you are interested in one of these other food-related licenses.
Department of Inspections & Appeals
Lucas State Office Building, 3rd floor
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines IA, 50319-0083(map)Morgan Bearymorgan.email@example.com
P: (515) 281-6538
F: (515) 281-3291
Visit Agency Page for More Information
- Code Citation
- Iowa Code Chapter 137F
- Who Applies
- A person wishing to operate a food service establishment must obtain a license.
- When To Apply
- Application must be received at least 30 days prior to the intended operating date and the license issued before the establishment begins operation.
- Initial Requirements
- All regulatory requirements must be met before a license is issued.
- License expires one year from the date issued.
- Processing Time
- 30 days.
- Fee Structure
- License: $150 to $400, based on annual gross sales.
- Renewal Requirements
- Renewal applications and fees must be received prior to the license expiration date.
- Does not apply.
- Additional Information
- Online applications and renewals are preferred, and are processed faster than paper applications. Renewals can be submitted up to 60 days prior to the license expiration date.