Iowa Licenses: Department of Revenue

The Iowa Department of Revenue is there to serve Iowans and support the state government by collecting taxes required by law.  They are located in the Hoover State Office Building – 1st Floor, 1305 E. Walnut St. Des Moines, IA 50319 and can be contacted by phone at 515-281-3114. Their offices administer licensing such as cigarette permits, fuel tax, local hotel/motel tax, as well as sales, use, withholding and excise taxes.  When starting a business it is important to make sure you acquire all tax permits your business may need. 

For more information on Registering for Federal, State and Local Taxes, please see our Start a Business in Iowa Guide detailing this step in the process. Use our licensing navigator below to find licensing that may be necessary for your business to operate in Iowa. If you have any questions, contact the ISL team through phone or text at 319-273-5444 or by email at [email protected].