Did you know the state of Iowa does not have a “general” business license? Instead, Iowa regulates the activity of your business or profession.
Whether you’re a newly established business wondering how to fulfill your licensing obligations, or an existing corporation seeking to expand your business lines or geographic footprint, IASourceLink can assist you. Below are some general business licensing tips:
- For a Sales Tax Permit or Tax ID Number: Contact the Iowa Department of Revenue at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-281-3114.
- Sole Proprietorship registration: Contact your local County Recorder.
- Corporation, Limited Liability Company or Nonprofit registration: Secretary of State at email@example.com or 515-281-5204.
- Contact your local city clerk for any licenses or ordinances specific to the city your business is located in.
- Unemployment Insurance and Workers Compensation will be needed if hiring employees. For more information contact Iowa Workforce Development at 515-281-5387.
- If you are searching for the State of Iowa requirements for licenses, permits and regulations specific to agriculture, check out the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship Regulatory Listings.
- You can also find additional information on the Licensing Resources Fact Sheet.
For additional business licensing assistance contact Christine Cavil at Christine.Cavil@iowa.gov or toll free at 800.532.1216.
Please click the button below to search a complete list of licenses and permits.