A plan in your head is good. A well thought out plan on paper is even better. Writing a business plan doesn't have to be intimidating. Iowa offers many resources to assist you with developing a business plan.
Meet with a Counselor
Several organizations throughout the state offer free one-on-one sessions with trained counselors. Counselors act as sounding boards as you move from evaluating your idea to planning your business and can address a number of start-up issues, including markets, competition, operations and your business plan. When you contact a potential counselor, be specific about what information you need and what kind of business you are starting so you can be matched with the best resource.
Before meeting with a counselor, make note of the following:
- Questions from your market research
- Concerns about how your business will operate
- Issues about competition or location
Plan Your Business
Here are some helpful resources to help you with putting together a business plan:
- Find counseling in your area through the Resource Navigator. Under “Area of Assistance,” select “Starting a Business.” From there, also select “Start-Up Business Counseling" under “Specific Need."
- Be sure to contact the Business Concierge for free market research for your business plan or to request an industry specific template for your use.