Consumable Hemp Manufacturer Registration Print This Page
Authorizes a person or business to operate as a manufacturer of consumable hemp products in Iowa. Consumable hemp products can be liquid or solid. Types of consumable hemp products include, but are not limited to: food, chew or snuff, oils and lotions, and hemp processed or otherwise manufactured, marketed, sold, or distributed as food, a food additive, a dietary supplement, or a drug. Consumable hemp products do NOT include those intended to be introduced into the human body by any method of inhalation. Hemp businesses are "registered," not "licensed."
Department of Inspections & Appeals
Lucas State Office Building, Third Floor
321 East 12th Street
Des Moines IA, 50319-0083(map)Consumable Hemp Programhempemail@example.com
P: (515) 829-8899
F: (515) 281-3291
Visit Agency Page for More Information
- Code Citation
- Iowa Code Chapter 204; Iowa Administrative Code 481, Chapter 32
- Who Applies
- Businesses wishing to manufacture consumable hemp products for sale in Iowa.
- When To Apply
- Businesses must be registered by the Department of Inspections and Appeals (DIA) prior to manufacturing or selling consumable hemp products in Iowa.
- Initial Requirements
- All regulatory requirements must be met before a business can be registered.
- Registration is valid for one calendar year.
- Processing Time
- 30 days
- Fee Structure
- Registration application: $475
- Renewal Requirements
- Renewal applications and fees must be received at least 30 days prior to the registration expiration date.
- Additional Information
- Along with the registration form and payment, manufacturers of consumable hemp must submit a complete list of all consumable hemp products the manufacturer intends to produce, process, pack, hold, distribute, or sell, along with information about consumable hemp product ingredient suppliers and manufacturers. All registrations must be completed online. Consumable hemp manufacturers located in the state of Iowa who intend to manufacture or distribute consumable hemp products that are human food or dietary supplements will also need a food processing plant license.