Temporary License (M.D. or D.O.) Print This Page
The board may issue a temporary license authorizing a physician to participate in a board-approved activity in Iowa. Temporary licensure is granted on a case-by-case basis and depends upon the applicant's education and training, experience and licensure status elsewhere, and upon the intended use of the temporary license. Temporary licensure is not intended to be the means for a physician to practice medicine in lieu of or before a permanent license is granted nor is it intended for locum tenens.
Department of Public Health
Iowa Board of Medicine
400 SW 8th Street, Suite C
Des Moines IA, 50309(map)Natalie Sipesnatalie.email@example.com
P: (515) 281-6492
Visit Agency Page for More Information
- Code Citation
- IC 147, 147B, and 272C; IAC 653
- Who Applies
- All individuals seeking a temporary license for a board approved activity:
Board-approved activity means one of the following:
1. Covering for an Iowa-licensed physician who unexpectedly is not available to provide medical care to his or her patients
2. Demonstrating or proctoring that involves providing hands-on patient care to patients in Iowa
3. Conducting a procedure on a patient in Iowa when the consultant's expertise in the procedure is greater than that of the Iowa-licensed physician who requested the procedure
4. Providing medical care to patients in Iowa if the physician is enrolled in an out-of-state resident training program and does not hold a resident or permanent license in the home state of the resident training program
5. Serving as a camp physician
6. Participating as a learner in a program of further medical education that allows hands-on patient care when the physician does not currently hold a license in good standing in any United States jurisdiction, or
7. Any other activity approved by the board.
- When To Apply
- As needed.
- Initial Requirements
- Hold a medical degree from an educational institution approved by the board (if the applicant is an international medical graduate the educational institution must be listed in the International Medical Education Director)
Hold a current active and unrestricted license to practice medicine issued by any jurisdiction; Be fluent in the English language; Present a letter justifying the need for temporary licensure from the organization or individual seeking the applicant's participation in a board-approved activity.
- For the time period requested, up to one year.
- Processing Time
- Approximately 30 days.
- Fee Structure
- Initial Application:
- Renewal Requirements
- Must be for the same need as license was initially issued for. Submit application and fee and written justification for the renewal from the organization and individual seeking the applicant.
- Not required.
- Additional Information
- Requirements for applicants who hold a license in a U.S. jurisdiction and those who do not hold a license in a U.S. jurisdiction are different. See the Board's webpage: http://medicalboard.iowa.gov/licensure/temporary.html.