Special License (M.D. or D.O.) Print This Page
A special license specifically limits the licensee to practice at the medical college and at any health care facility affiliated with the medical college. The board may grant a special license to a physician who is an academic staff member of a college of medicine if that physician does not meet the qualifications for a permanent license. The physician should be held in high esteem for unique contributions they have made to medicine, and will make by practicing in Iowa. The board will consider granting and renewing a special license on a case-by-case basis.
Department of Public Health
Iowa Board of Medicine
400 SW 8th Street, Suite C
Des Moines IA, 50309(map)Natalie Sipesnatalie.firstname.lastname@example.org
P: (515) 281-6492
Visit Agency Page for More Information
- Code Citation
- IC 147, 148, and 272C; IAC 653
- Who Applies
- A physician who is appointed an academic staff member of a college of medicine if that physician does not meet the qualifications for a permanent license. The physician should be held in high esteem for unique contributions they have made to medicine, and will make by practicing in Iowa.
- When To Apply
- Upon appointment as an academic staff member at a college of medicine in Iowa.
- Initial Requirements
- Appointed academic staff at a college of medicine; Be a physician in a medical specialty; Present evidence of holding a medical degree from an educational institution that is located in a jurisdiction outside the United States or Canada and that is listed in the Directory of Medical Schools published by the World Health Organization; Have completed at least two years of postgraduate education in any jurisdiction; Have practiced for five years after postgraduate education; Demonstrate proficiency in English by providing a valid ECFMG certificate or verification of a passing score on TOEFL, the Test of English as a Foreign Language administered by the Educational Testing Service; Be licensed in a jurisdiction outside the United States or Canada and present evidence that any licenses held in any jurisdiction are unrestricted
- Not more than one year and may be renewed annually.
- Processing Time
- Approximately 45 days.
- Fee Structure
- Initial Application:
- Renewal Requirements
- Completed renewal application and fee; evidence of 20 hours of Category 1 continuing education and mandatory training on identifying and reporting abuse; A letter from the dean of the medical college that addresses the individual's unique contribution to the practice of medicine in Iowa, how the anticipated contribution will serve the public interest of Iowans, and the need for renewal of the license.
- Exam not required.
- Additional Information
- The license is not designed for physicians in regular faculty positions that could be filled by a physician qualified for permanent licensure in Iowa or for the purpose of training the physician who receives the license, such as participating in a fellowship of any kind.