Did you know the state of Iowa does not have a “general” business license? Instead, Iowa regulates the activity of your business or profession.
Whether you’re a newly established business wondering how to fulfill your licensing obligations, a contractor looking for registration information
, or an existing corporation seeking to expand your business lines or geographic footprint, IASourceLink can assist you. Below are some general business licensing tips:
- For a Sales Tax Permit or Tax ID Number: Contact the Iowa Department of Revenue at firstname.lastname@example.org or 515-281-3114.
- Sole Proprietorship registration: Contact your local County Recorder.
- Corporation, Limited Liability Company or Nonprofit registration: Secretary of State at email@example.com or 515-281-5204.
- Contact your local city clerk for any licenses or ordinances specific to the city your business is located in.
- Unemployment Insurance and Workers Compensation will be needed if hiring employees. For more information contact Iowa Workforce Development at 515-281-5387.
- If you are searching for the State of Iowa requirements for licenses, permits and regulations specific to agriculture, check out the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship Regulatory Listings.
- You can also find additional information on the Business License Information Sheet.
For additional business licensing assistance contact Christine Cavil at firstname.lastname@example.org or toll free at 800.532.1216.
Please click the button below to search a complete list of licenses and permits.