Teaching (limited) - Native Language Teaching Authorization Print This Page
This authorization allows speakers of a native language other than English to teach that language.
Iowa Board of Educational Examiners
701 E. Court Ave Suite A
Des Moines IA, 50309(map)Linda Espeylinda.firstname.lastname@example.org
P: (515) 725-2146
F: (515) 281-7669
Visit Agency Page for More Information
- Code Citation
- Who Applies
- Speakers of a native language other than English who wish to teach that language.
- When To Apply
- 4-6 weeks prior to the start of employment
- Initial Requirements
- Preliminary native language speaker authorization - Bachelor's degree and passing a Praxis II exam in the native language. A position offer is required.
To move to the full native language speaker authorization, pedagogy coursework is required.
- Preliminary native language teaching authorization - 3 years
Native language teaching authorization - 5 years
- Processing Time
- 4-6 weeks
- Fee Structure
- $85 to apply
$75 background check for new applicants
$95 to renew
- Renewal Requirements
- Full native language teaching authorization - 6 renewal credits and the mandatory reporter trainings for child and dependent adult abuse.
- Praxis II exam in the native language for first issuance
- Additional Information
- Not eligible for conditional licensure or to add teaching endorsements.