Medical Physicist - Mammography Print This Page
A mammography medical physicist performs mammography equipment evaluations and annual surveys on mammography units.
- Code Citation
- Code of Iowa 641, Chapter 41
- Who Applies
- Any individual wanting to provide medical physicist surveys of mammography facilities and provide oversight of the facility's quality assurance program in the State of Iowa.
- When To Apply
- After the completion of academic and clinical requirements.
- Initial Requirements
- 1. Be Iowa approved; and
2. Have a master’s degree or higher in a physical science from an accredited institution, with no less than 20 semester hours or 30 quarter hours of college undergraduate or graduate level physics;
3. Have 20 contact hours of documented specialized training in conducting surveys of mammography facilities; and
4. Have experience conducting surveys in at least one mammography facility and have a total of at least 10 mammography units. No more than one survey of a specific unit within a period of 60 days can be counted towards the total mammography unit survey requirement. After April 28, 1999, experience
conducting surveys must be acquired under the direct supervision of a medical physicist who meets all the requirements of this subrule; or
(2) Alternative initial qualifications.
1. Have qualified as a medical physicist under FDA interim regulations and have retained that qualification by maintenance of the active status of any licensure, approval, or certification required under the interim regulations; and
2. Prior to April 28, 1999, have:
● A bachelor’s degree or higher in a physical science from an accredited institution with no less than 10 semester hours or equivalent of college undergraduate or graduate level physics.
● Forty contact hours of documented specialized training in conducting surveys of mammography facilities.
● Experience conducting surveys in at least one mammography facility and have a total of at least 20 mammography units. No more than one survey of a specific unit within a period of 60 days can be counted towards the total mammography unit survey requirement. The training and experience requirements must be met after fulfilling the degree requirement.
● At least eight hours of training in surveying units of the new mammographic modality before independently performing mammographic surveys of a new mammographic modality other than one for which the physicist received training to qualify under this subrule.
- One year or until the continuing requirements are no longer met, whichever comes first.
- Processing Time
- One to two weeks.
- Fee Structure
- Annual fee: $100
- Renewal Requirements
- Documentation of fifteen hours of continuing education within the previous thirty-six months and two mammography facilities and six mammography units within the previous twenty-four months are required annually.
- ABR or ABMP certification is one way to meet part of the initial qualifications.
- Additional Information
- Any medical physicist who meets the mammography requirements can also apply for approval of Stereotactic Breast Biopsy surveys.