Iowa Licenses: Food Trucks and Restaurants

When starting a food truck or restaurant in Iowa, there are many requirements, including licensing, to consider.  The Department of Inspections and Appeals Food and Consumer Safety Bureau handles licensing for both Food Service and Mobile Food Establishments. 

You can visit their food establishments and hotels page for specific information on both of these licenses and others offered through their department. You can also visit their online food and lodging licensing guide for more information on applying for these licenses. Another great resource when starting a food truck, is our How to Start a Food Truck Business in Iowa guide, which provides information on Iowa food truck requirements, funding and licensing. 

The Food and Consumer Safety Bureau is located at the Lucas State Office Building, 3rd Floor, 321 E. 12th St. Des Moines, IA 50319 and can be contacted by phone at 515-281-6538 or by email at [email protected]. Use our licensing navigator below to find more information on this licensing. If you have any questions, contact the ISL team through phone or text at 319-273-5444 or by email at [email protected].