Iowa Licenses: Child Care Center Services

When providing child care services in the state of Iowa there are many requirements, including licensing, to consider. Child care businesses are regulated by the Iowa Department of Health and Human Services.  The three types of regulated child care in Iowa are Licensed Centers, Child Development Homes, and Child Care Homes. You can visit their child care overview page to find out more information on these different child care services. If you are interested in starting a daycare, a great resource is our How to Start a Daycare in Iowa guide, which provides information on starting both an in-home daycare and daycare center. 

The Iowa Department of Health and Human Services is located at 321 E. 12th St. Des Moines, IA 50319 and can be contacted by phone at 800-972-2017 or by email at [email protected]. Use our licensing navigator below to find licensing that may be necessary for your business to operate in Iowa. If you have any questions, contact the ISL team through phone or text at 319-273-5444 or by email at [email protected].