Motivation vs. Stagnation: We'll Get Through It!
Sophie Troxell on
Aug 02, 2021
We all know that 2020 was a challenge, to say the least. Trying to keep a business afloat can be hard enough during good times let alone during a pandemic and it can be easy to lose motivation when you can’t see the win at the end of your day. So, when you find yourself in a slump how can you recharge your battery and set your sights on change? It might not be simple – life is always so much easier when we are drifting towards complacency – but here’s a few tips to get started on growing new habits and gaining inspiration!
- Get back to your roots. What problem were you seeking to solve when you started your business? What was the earlier groove that made you feel you could make a difference with your product or service? Dig deep and remember what it was that made you start your business. It’s good, and necessary, to remember the seedlings of your business because that is where the initial enthusiasm lies. Reconnect with those early feelings of excitement!
- Routine. I know we’ve all experienced a lot of the same during the past year, but having a routine is actually a very good way to keep your motivation up – you may just need to change up your routine! Here’s some tips to get you on your way to a new tomorrow!
- The world is an uncertain place. Businesses had no idea what 2020 was going to throw at them but some were able to navigate the waters more successfully than others. While maybe not anticipating a worldwide pandemic, they had a plan in place to endure through hardship. If you haven’t drafted a plan for your business, or if your current plan is on a dusty shelf, now is a good time to take it down and review. Setting new goals will reenergize you and your business.
- Peer connections and community. Engaging with other like-minded entrepreneurs to share experiences and discuss issues will remind you that you are not alone. This is especially important for solo-entrepreneurs. If you are not sure where to turn, the Business Concierge can steer you in the right direction!
- Don’t be afraid to pivot. When you are in a state of non-motivation, it can be easy to fill your day with tasks you think are meaningful but don’t do much to move the bar forward. If you find yourself in a rut it may be that it’s time to take your business down a different path. Sometimes being stuck is really an opportunity to open new doors!
Bottom line – don’t despair! If these ideas don’t work for you, consider what does motivate you and try to incorporate that mindset or activity into your day. Even making small changes can help you gain new perspective that can be reflected in your business.