ASSISTANCE FOR IOWA SMALL BUSINESSES & NONPROFITS
Governor Reynolds has allocated federal CARES Act funds to assist small businesses and nonprofits who have been economically impacted by COVID-19. The Iowa Economic Development Authority’s Small Business Utility Disruption Prevention Program will provide short-term relief to eligible small businesses and nonprofits that face significant hardship in the payment of utility bills for service provided during the months of disruption to their business.
AVAILABLE UTILITY BILL ASSISTANCE
- Electric and natural gas utility bill assistance for actual utility debt incurred for electric or natural gas service provided between March 17, 2020 and June 30, 2020, not to exceed $7,500.
- Financial assistance can only be applied to the applicants’ utility bills. The applicants’ utility service provider will receive a credit, which will be applied to the applicants’ utility debt.
- Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis beginning July 17, 2020, and assistance will be provided to eligible applicants on a first come, first ready to proceed basis until all funds have been exhausted or August 21, 2020, whichever comes first.
- Iowa-based for profit and nonprofit businesses with 50 or fewer employees
- Must have a physical location (non-residential) in Iowa
- Must be registered with the Iowa Secretary of State to do business in the State of Iowa
- Must not be an ineligible business type:
- Adult Entertainment; Construction, Internet Sales, without corresponding storefront; Medical; Private Clubs, Professional Services; Professional Sports; Religious Institutions, with the exception of those offering social services including daycare, food bank, preschool, shelter, etc.
- Have not received funds provided by the State of Iowa's Small Business Relief Grant (SBRG) funding
- Have not received any funds provided by the State of Iowa's Nonprofit Recovery Fund
- Must have experienced a COVID-19 loss of revenue on or after March 17, 2020 that resulted in unpaid bills for electric or natural gas utility service provided between March 17, 2020 and June 30, 2020
- Applicants' average monthly electric usage must not exceed 25,000 kWh for electricity or 2,500 therms for natural gas (review with your utility bill and/or contact your utility provider to confirm)
- Businesses must be
For more information including how to apply and frequently asked questions, visit: https://www.iowaeconomicdevelopment.com/Business/energy-recovery